Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Gracie's 5th "Paper Doll" Birthday PT. 1

If you knew me you probably would have heard me say that I was born in the wrong era! I'm literally obsessed with everything "old fashioned". I really really think if I had a choice I would have been born in the 40's, 30's or even 20's... thus my kids would grow up in the 40's/50's/60's era...
 
Being my child Gracie's already taken a liking to the timeless game of paper dolls! I thought that would be perfect to combine her love for paper dolls to rightful era of their popularity (ummm okay so I'm vicariously living a smidge...). She was super excited for her old fashioned Paper Doll theme! I think I may have been a little more excited that she was good with it!!!
 
So after much internet research, ie: Googling... I stumbled upon Betsy McCall quite a bit, I was going nuts over all those cute dresses and short stories once featured in "McCalls Magazine" and secretly prayed, HARD, that McCalls would someday reunite sewing lovers with little girls (like myself) and those adorable patterns... Okay so I'll admit God bringing the thought of patterns is probably not His biggest priority amongst the chaos in this world, so I'll settle for Etsy.  
 
In the wonderful world of Etsy, I found this adorable pattern and instantly fell in love with this woman's shop! I found her personal website (The Cottage Mama) and to add to my glee, You get a FREE pattern when you join her mailing list! Whoo-hoo!
 
If you're a sewer, here's the link from her website: 
Here it is on Etsy:
 
I have to give a shout out to my inspiration here (I mean seriously, what Screams 1950's more than red/white gingham, eyelet lace and ruffle sleeves?!):
 
And here's my take on my adorable little model (okay I'm biased, but seriously!) 
I measured her American Girl doll and went through the directions for the actual dress (to my best ability to make matchsies). It actually came out really cute!




 
And who can resist a tea party!
 

 
Here's the Version for her American Girl doll
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment